Thursday, August 13, 2009

Palmyra and the Sacred Grove

The Smith Home.



This room is also known as the birthing room, where the littlest sister was born.
Also, it is the same room in which Alvin passed away in.

Our guide told us something really cool.
This temple is the only one to have a see through window. This window is the one in the back of the temple. (which is the side you can see)
She then told us that someone she had taken on a tour had taken a picture similar to mine of the temple. She then told us that the women went home and while magnifying the picture said that through the windows she had captured a bride and groom. Obviously the Newlyweds were contacted and the picture shared with them. But, how cool of a story? :]

This was actually not a barn for animals, but for Grain.
Another interesting fact is that when a couple was wed, the groom carried the the bride, not past the threshold of the house, but first the threshold of the grain barn. Resembling that she would never go hungry.



This is the Frame House in which Alvin Smith began constructing for his mother and father, but died of what is considered to have been Appendicitis.
Having desired for their son's work to be finished, the Smith's hired a Constuctor to finish the build. Through the tour I learned many facts and stories of this wonderful home. One of which is that what you see here is the original home restored to 80%.


This fireplace is one of the many places in which Emma and Joseph Smith hid the Golden Plates. Yep, it's the REAL deal.
This is a Safe box. As you can see it has a lock, originally Alvin's, Hyrum aquired it and gave it Joseph to use as a safe place to lock the plates in when he was not translating them.


This Beautiful Vase is similar to one the Smith's owned.
It was imported from England.
















The turning of a new leaf .










The Palmyra Temple.

The Temple Doors

"an angel trumpeting the glory of God"



5 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you had a wonderful day. I know you have heard my conversion story lots of times but wanted you to know that as soon as I saw the pictures of the Sacred Grove that same Still Small Voice whispered to me that the Book of Mormon is true.

    Thanks for sharing. I love you. Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Rebekah, thanks so much for sharing these pictures. Ever since we went to Nauvoo, I have felt a desire to visit other church historic sites. I really enjoy seeing these pictures and especially your captions and insights. You are more lovely than ever. I miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing those pictures. I'm so glad you were excited enough about them to call me and tell me I had to get home and read your blog! ;-) I love you! The Sacred Grove is beautiful! I hadn't seen or read any of the comments yet, as I read your blog, and I too saw the pictures of the sunlight filtering into the grove of trees, and felt that peaceful feeling in my heart. The temple wasn't built yet when I was there last... I look forward to seeing it. And what a wonderful story, of the bride and groom. (of course everyone is going to be blowing up their pic's of the temple to see if they too have captured a Bride)...
    I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These pics are great! I also really like the story about the bride and groom in the window. Cool, right? I love this place...wish I could go visit again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing! i hope to one day go there for a visit! Glad you had fun and got to learn lots of interesting facts!

    ReplyDelete